- Professor of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
- Director, Advanced Highway Maintenance and Construction Technology Research Center
- Ph.D., Theoretical and Applied Mechanics, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1981.
- M.S., Mechanical Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1979.
- B.S., Mechanical Engineering, State University of New York at Buffalo, 1977.
- Registered Professional Engineer, State of California, No. M30328.
|August 1989 – Present||Associate Professor, Professor, Department of Mechanical and Aeronautical Engineering, University of California, Davis.|
|August 1983 – August 1989||Assistant Professor, Associate Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Wisconsin-Madison.|
|September 1982 – December 1982||Adjunct Professor of Mechanical Engineering, Florida Institute of Technology.|
- Two years industry and government experience
Areas of Expertise
- Mechanical Systems Analysis and Design
- Vehicle Design and Dynamics
- Robotics and Automation
- Machinery — wire rope/cable based machines, woodworking machines, machines for highway maintenance and construction
- Experience in product liability, accident reconstruction and intellectual property
- Federal Laboratory Consortium (FLC) Award for Excellence in Technology Transfer, US Department of Energy, 2012
- Finalist, Construction Innovation Forum’s NOVA Award, 2009
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers’ Machine Design Award, 2007
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers’ Robert E. Abbott Award, 2005
- California Transportation Foundation’s Tranny Award, 2002
- California State Department of Transportation’s Excellence in Transportation Award, 2001
- California Transportation Foundation’s Tranny Award, 2001
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers’ Distinguished Service Award, 1999
- Fellow, American Society of Mechanical Engineers, 1998
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers’ Leonardo Da Vinci Award, 1996
- Society of Automotive Engineers’ Ralph R. Teetor Educational Award, 1986
Selected Professional Activities
- Technical Editor, Mechanics Based Design of Structures and Machines, 1999 – present (Associate Technical Editor 1991-1999)
- Member, Robotics Engineering Advisory Board, ASME Press, 2011-present
- Member, Leonardo da Vinci Award Committee, ASME, 2010-present
- Member, Alumni Association Board of Directors, Department of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2005-2010
- Vice President – Systems and Design, American Society of Mechanical Engineers, 2002-2005
- Member Editorial Board, International Journal of Heavy Vehicle Systems, 1993-present
- Member, IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics Management Committee, 1999-2002
- Associate Technical Editor, ASME Journal of Mechanical Design, 1993-1995
- Member, Executive Committee, ASME Design Engineering Division, 1994-2000 (Chair 1998-99)
- Member, Society of Automotive Engineers
- Member, American Academy of Mechanics
Lee, D.V. and Velinsky, S.A., “Analysis and Verification of a Three-Dimensional Non-Contacting Angular Motion Sensor,” Transactions IEEE/ASME, Journal of Mechatronics, Vol. 12, No. 6, pp. 612-622, 2007.
Velinsky, S.A., Lasky, T.A. and Chu, B., “Kinematics and Efficiency Analysis of the Planetary Roller Screw Mechanism,” Transactions ASME, Journal of Mechanical Design, Vol. 131, January, paper# 011016, 2009.
Arsenault, A., Velinsky, S.A. and Lasky, T.A., “A Low-Cost Sensor Array and Test Platform for Autonomous Roadside Mowing,” Transactions IEEE/ASME, Journal of Mechatronics, Vol. 16, No. 3, pp. 592-597, 2011.
Ganji, F. and Velinsky, S.A., “Adaptive Control with Optimal Actuation for an Omnidirectional Mobile Platform with Three Ball Wheels,” Mechanics Based Design of Structures and Machines, Vol. 39, No. 1, pp. 1-21, 2011.
Jones, M.H. and Velinsky, S.A., “Kinematics of Roller Migration in the Planetary Roller Screw Mechanism,” Transactions ASME, Journal of Mechanical Design, Vol. 134, paper# 061006, 6 pp., 2012.