Automated Roadway Debris VACuum System
Image of prototype ARDVAC unit
What is This System?
This is a large vacuum system with a fully articulated nozzle useful for sweeping up trash and debris in hard to reach areas. The "Automated Roadway Debris VACuum" or "ARDVAC" allows an operator to use a joystick and position the “vacuum cleaner” nozzle while staying in the safety of the cab.
When to Use This System?
This system can be used in many places where a street sweeper can not reach and where it is dangerous for humans to be outside. Significant benifits can be seen when used in the median areas such as: paved guardrail, paved transitions, unpaved guardrails, unpaved transitions, and ditches. Similar benifits can been seen on roadsides.
- Operator Safety
- Picks up wide variaty of materials
- Can reach into small areas
- May require moving lane closure
- Can not pickup large debris (tires, pallets, ect)
- $130 per mile with fixed lane closure
- ARDVAC Vacuum Vehicle $381,000
- Optional Rotary Cutter Attachment
- Optional Oscillating Cutter Attachment
- Cost savings of $121.99 per mile compared to hand cleaning by caltrans crew without lane closure.
- Cleaning capacity of 1200 miles per year per ARDVAC
- Pays for itself in 3,124 miles or 521 days if used to full capacity
- Note: Costs assuming 2mph cleaning rate