What is This Treatment?
Mechanical mowing of roadsides and medians with flail mowers is an important vegetation maintenance tool. This method of control uses free swinging blades or hammers to mechanically cut or pulverize vegetation. Mowing often will reduce fire risk, improve traffic visibility, and control weeds.
When to Use This Treatment?
Flail mowers are effective against thick woody plants and tall grasses, but must be used on relatively level ground and in larger areas. If plants are very dry there is a risk of fire from sparks. Flail mowers usually are not feasible around guardrails, in this case a special guardrail or post mower is available.
- Relatively Fast: Up to 19 Acres per day
- Effective against tall grasses
- Only requires one person
- Requires no chemicals
- Often requires a lane closure
- Usually must be done during day
- Leaves cuttings behind which may pose fire hazard
- Does not prevent regrowth
- Large boom mower atachment ~ $23,000 delivered
- Mowing cost/acre: $19.15 (not including initial investment)