What is This Treatment?
This takes the age old method of using fire to control weeds only it does it without the flame. Propane is combusted inside of ceramic heating elements, thus radiating heat without a flame ever directly touching the vegetation. The heat can be up to 1832F (1000C) which quickly kills the plant.
When to Use This Treatment?
This treatment is best seen as an alternative to traditional mechanical mowing. The unit can be attached to a tractor or boom and used in the same manner as one would a mower.
- Medium speed: Up to 9.70 Acres per day
- Kills seeds before they can germinate
- Low environmental impact
- Often requires a lane closure
- Weeds grow back quicker than with other alternative methods
- Difficult to use with very tall or dense vegetation
- Dry dead growth may pose fire hazard
- Heat system $??
- Treatment cost/acre: $32.35 (not including initial investment)
- Forevergreen - "Chemical Free Weed Control"
- Sunburst Inc - "Responsible and Effective Thermal Vegetation Management Technology"
A automated machine designed for larger scale applications would reduce the cost per acre and speed up the treatment.